The outer edges of the Shattered Sea has many small islands  . Some these island house large obsidian structures, carved with symbols . Presumably these are part of what is called The Bastion .
It is possible that the Shattered Sea was created when the comet Skyhammer struck the world in the First Age. 
- Meradus Gercator (962 A.S.) Map of the Lands and People of the 9th Age (T9A:FB Rulebook, v1.3.5, p125)
- Johannes Strabo; A New Atlas for the Ninth Age (T9A:FB Rulebook, v1.3.5, p124)
- Jorge Zamoran; An account of the peoples, nations and monsters which inhabit the world: Daemon Legions (T9A:FB Rulebook, v1.3.5, p144)
- Letter undelivered by Sonnstahl Postmaster; recipient deceased (T9A:FB Rulebook, v1.3.5, p16)
- The World Hymn: the 1st Age (T9A:FB Rulebook, v1.3.5, p126)